Fast Facts and Musings

MakersMakers Senior Member
edited December 2014 in Horse Racing Forum
As stated in Dirtyshirt's thread, have been involved in all aspects of sports gambling for many years and while horse racing is the most enjoyable it can also be the most frustrating. Having lurked here for several months and finding a site for the most part devoid of shills and questionable touts am thinking it might be fun to participate.

Fast Facts

Less than 4% of players (NFL-NCAA-etc) win on a regular basis..what would that number be for horse players? (Curious)

Haskell: With CC failing in the Belmont this shapes up as must see racing.

Jim Dandy: Would be a shame if this doesn't draw more entries.

Drayden Van Dyke:
Love the way this soon to be 20 year old sits a horse quietly and calmly

BOSOX Worth keeping an eye on winning 8 of 10 and more importantly finding an offense after a horrible start.. .320+ BA past 10 games

Worth noting over the past 10...Five teams scoring less than 3 RPG..Miami, San Diego, Kansas City, Seattle and LAD..

More later

Comments

• MakersMakers Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Worth noting over the past 10...Five teams scoring less than 3 RPG..Miami, San Diego, Kansas City, Seattle and LAD..

Combined 15-35 o/u
    edited July 2014
    B.C. Futures

Breeders Cup Classic (11/1/14)

Will Take Charge 3/1
    California Chrome 3/1
    Palace Malice 7/2 Shared Belief 6/1
    Majestic Harbor 8/1
    Game On Dude 10/1
    Lea 15/1
    Untapable 15/1
    Revolutionary 18/1
    Tonalist 20/1
    Australia 20/1
    Clubhouse Ride 20/1
    Moonshine Mullin 20/1
    Normandy Invasion 20/1
    Ron The Greek 25/1
    Last Gunfighter 30/1
    Verranzano 30/1
    Imperative 35/1
    Departing 35/1
    Wise Dan 40/1
    Hoppertunity 40/1
    Wicked Strong 40/1
    Medal Count 45/1
    Danza 50/1
    Blingo 50/1
    Micromanage 50/1
    Code West 50/1
    Bayern 60/1
    Ride On Curlin 60/1
    Social Inclusion 60/1
    Candy Boy 65/1
    War Command 65/1
    Tapiture 65/1
    Commanding Curve 75/1
    Itsmyluckyday 75/1
    Carve 75/1
    Frac Daddy 80/1
    Moreno 80/1
    Bay Of Plenty 80/1
    Ruler Of The World 80/1
    Vicars In Trouble 90/1
    Magician 100/1
    Salto Del Indio 100/1
    Toast Of New York 100/1
    Prayer For Relief 100/1
    Spot 110/1
    Samraat 110/1
    Tamarando 110/1
    General A Rod 110/1
    edited July 2014
    Breeders Cup Distaff (10/31/14)

Untapable 2/1
    Beholder 4/1
    Princess Of Sylmar 4/1
    Close Hatches 6/1
    My Miss Sophia 18/1
    Molly Morgan 18/1
    On Fire Baby 20/1
    My Miss Aurelia 25/1
    Iotapa 25/1
    Fiftyshadesofhay 30/1
    Midnight Lucky 40/1
    Awesome Baby 40/1
    Left Faith Arise 40/1
    In Tune 45/1
    Flashy American 45/1
    Fortune Pearl 50/1
    Grace Hall 50/1
    Teen Pauline 50/1
    Unlimited Budget 50/1
    Stopchargingmaria 50/1
    Centring 60/1
    Ria Antonia 60/1
    Unbridled Forever 60/1
    Sweet Reason 75/1
    Rosalind 75/1
    Room Service 75/1
    Joint Return 80/1
    Street Girl 85/1
    Fashion Plate 100/1
    House Rules 100/1
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Good Stuff! Leaning a bit towards Kid Cruz. Been at Saratoga since Friday and got murdered!!!! At least it was fun as always and was tipped off that my horse Alpha is looking really sharp! He's Back!!! I thought he would be retired by now
    edited July 2014
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    Good Stuff! Leaning a bit towards Kid Cruz. Been at Saratoga since Friday and got murdered!!!! At least it was fun as always and was tipped off that my horse Alpha is looking really sharp! He's Back!!! I thought he would be retired by now

Never been to the Spa...am envious....
    edited July 2014
    As poor as the Marlins offense has been of late..they are still near 20 points above season BA average when facing LHP...The up and down Minor lacks success when facing the Fish.... 3-4 with a 4.50 + ERA.....Coupled with Turners 65 hits allowed in 48 IP...One or both of these starters has the possibility/probability of giving up numbers...

o7.5
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited July 2014

Were you there Monday to see the mugging that Grace Hall took from My Miss aurelia and allowed Better Lucky to come home on the outside away from the bumper cars inside? I was doing ok so far this meet and threw a couple of dimes on Grace Hall only to get totally slammed. Comments from Billy Mott post-race were spot-on!

Nothing against Johnny V, but MMA was short off the layoff and came lugging at the 3/8 and again at the 1/8 pole. Tough racing luck for me!
    edited July 2014
    Nope I left early Monday. My pocket and my body couldn't take it anymore.
  • shh10shh10 Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Welcome Makers . . . thanks for your post. Good stuff indeed (re: Mikenyce).
    Makers wrote: »
    Less than 4% of players (NFL-NCAA-etc) win on a regular basis..what would that number be for horse players? (Curious)

We're fortunate on this site to know one of those 4% and by that I'm referring to FBWinners . . . fbwinners.com . . . :)

I couldn't tell you the stat for horse players, but I'm sure that number would be skewed by liars and fools . . .

Anyway, looking forward to your insight as well on all facets . . .

Cheers.
  • shh10shh10 Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    At least it was fun as always and was tipped off that my horse Alpha is looking really sharp! He's Back!!! I thought he would be retired by now

Great to hear, I thought he'd been retired too . . . any word on where he may be pointed towards?
    edited July 2014
    Ouch
    Dan Borislow, Rainbow 6 Jackpot Winner, Dead at 52

Dan Borislow, a longtime Thoroughbred owner who took down Gulfstream Park’s Rainbow 6 wager for $6.6 million in May, has died at age 52, according to several reports.
    Soccer Florida said Borislow had a heart attack after playing a pick-up soccer match. Borislow was heavily involved in the sport, having owned the Women’s Professional Soccer franchise, the Washington Freedom, later named MagicJack after a device Borislow invented. In recent years, Borislow devoted a lot of time to youth soccer in Florida.]'

Borislow made his money as an entrepreneur, first founding the communications company, Tel-Save, then inventing the MagicJack, a device that can be plugged into a computer’s USB port to allow for unlimited calling from regular telephones. He was also a philanthropist who issued grants to charities through his D&K Charitable Foundation.
    edited July 2014
    Good Call on that O 7.5. As for Alpha I was told doubtful for the Whitney Likely for the Woodward but who knows? Oh yeah I did get a free hat on Sunday with admission Lol
  • TrotmanTrotman Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Borislow was a huge bettor and played mostly out of the palm beach kennel club. How huge you might ask. I was told by a friend of mine who knew him he was down about 1 million on Belmont stakes day, until the Belmont stakes race in which he bet 140,000 to win on Tonalist, resutting in a return of 1.4 million. Did anyone notice the horse dropped from 11-1 to 9-1 at the end. now u know the main reason why.

52 is way to young....
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    It's a pleasure to have another astute handicapper to this forum. Welcome and let'em from the 1/4 pole!!!
    edited July 2014
    A Name You Should Know: Drayden VanDyke

Apprentice jockey Drayden VanDyke's riding is nearly as hot as the California sun. A leading apprentice on the West Coast, VanDyke is off to a fast start in his young riding career. Read on to find out nine reasons why you should know who he is.

1. His goal is to win the 2014 Eclipse Award for leading apprentice rider. He’s well on his way, too, with 103 victories and $2,723,977 in earnings in 593 starts this year.

2. Last week he became the first apprentice rider to win a riding title in Southern California since 1998. VanDyke won 12 races at the inaugural summer race meet at Los Alamitos to defeat veteran Joe Talamo by four victories. Even more impressive—VanDyke was in Chicago to ride on Saturday, July 12 so he won the Los Al riding title while riding only seven of the eight days of the meet.

3. He can ride at the top level. VanDyke started off the high-class Del Mar meet with a bang, bagging two winners on the opening day card, and he was featured in opening weekend’s Doughnuts at Del Mar jockey Q and A. He’s also ridden in graded stakes and he’s come pretty close to winning one already in his young career. VanDyke rode Gulsary to a second-place finish in the Grade 3 Modesty Handicap at Arlington on July 12. The duo was closing fast and only beaten a neck.

4. Tom Proctor has taken him under his wing. “Old-school” horseman Proctor first noticed VanDyke when he was a kid hanging out on the backstretch at Churchill Downs. He eventually realized how much VanDyke wanted to learn and sent him to Glen Hill Farm in Ocala, Fla. to test his work ethic. VanDyke spent time in the barns with the 2-year-olds before heading west to California where Proctor gave him a shot at race riding. VanDyke won his first race in his second start for Proctor and has had a number of big mounts for him since.

5. Racing is in his blood. Born in Louisville, Ky., home of Churchill Downs, and raised in Hot Springs, Ark., home of Oaklawn Park, VanDyke never strayed far from Thoroughbred racing and spent a lot of time on the backside of the track. His dad Seth was a jockey through the mid-‘90s and works as an exercise rider today. His parents discouraged him from pursuing the challenging racing lifestyle but Drayden was determined to have a career riding racehorses.

6. VanDyke has some top jockeys in his corner. Hall of Famers Gary Stevens and Mike Smith have both decided to help him out. Stevens and Smith share riding tips and race-specific advice with VanDyke, and he’ll spend his first summer at Del Mar with Smith as his roommate.

7. By all accounts, Drayden VanDyke is a genuinely nice guy. He’s a hard worker who’s always looking to learn what he can from anyone who’s been in the business a while. His mentors Proctor, Smith and Stevens are all quick to compliment him, and the industry consensus so far seems to be that VanDyke is truly a nice person.
    VANDYKE AND TRAINER TOM PROCTOR
    vandykeproctor.jpg
    Photo by Benoit Photo
    8. VanDyke has accomplished all this and he’s only 19 years old! That’s right, 19. While other kids are lounging around by the pool this summer, VanDyke is blazing a trail as one of North America’s leading apprentice jockeys. Time will tell if his success will continue, but at this point VanDyke seems to be doing everything right.
    edited July 2014
    Fast Facts

gif-animata.gif
    Pletcher
    has won 6 of 14 starts at Saratoga, finishing top 3 in 11

Chad Brown
    has 1 winner in 15 starts

Lucas
    0 for 8

Baseball-08-june.gif

Yankees are the only team with a .500+ record while being outscored by the opposition (-29 runs)

Oakland leads MLB with a +161 differential while Texas struggles with a -110......Imagine where they would be without Darvish

Baltimore 55-45 overall...26-18 versus the once dominate A.L. East

Detroit..14 games above .500 but only 26-25 at home.
    edited July 2014
    fbwinners wrote: »
    It's a pleasure to have another astute handicapper to this forum. Welcome and let'em from the 1/4 pole!!!

Thanks for the welcome and appreciate the kind words although yet to be proven on this site :)

Looking forward to your NFL
    edited July 2014
    Interesting match-up as MLB's best road team faces the best home team, as well as two HOT starters

Detroit 30-17 traveling
    LAA 35-18 at home

edited July 2014
    Like a Pletcher horse today in the 2nd
    Bully Proof
    edited July 2014
    Like a Pletcher horse today in the 2nd
    Bully Proof

Looking there also along with the 6..Good luck if you play
    edited July 2014
    Race #9 07/24/2014
    Saratoga
    Trifecta
    # 2,3
    WT # 1,2,3,5,6
    WT # 1,2,3,5,6
    edited July 2014
    Saratoga Changes for Thu Jul 24 2014
    Track Conditions: Current Turf-Firm, Dirt-Fast
    (Updated at 11:44:41 AM)

Race 1 Current Turf-Firm
    3 GMAC (IRE) scratched (Reason: Trainer)

Race 2 Current Dirt-Fast
    2 REVOLVER scratched (Reason: Veterinarian)
    4 BULLY PROOF scratched (Reason: Veterinarian)

Race 3 Current Dirt-Fast
    1 MOLLY JORDAN changed to ON

Race 4 Current Dirt-Fast
    1A ULTIMATE SHOPPER scratched (Reason: Trainer)

Race 5 Current Distance-12, Turf-Firm
    2 STREET TRICK scratched (Reason: Veterinarian)
    7 TRAUTMAN scratched (Reason: Main-Track-Only)

Race 6 Current Dirt-Fast
    7 MARCY scratched (Reason: Trainer)

Race 7 Current Distance-9, Turf-Firm
    1A ORINO scratched (Reason: Also-Eligible)
    9 WHY NOT WHISKEY jockey changed to Rosie Napravnik
    11 LAWYER JIM scratched (Reason: Also-Eligible)
    14 INDY TUNE scratched (Reason: Main-Track-Only)

Race 8 Current Dirt-Fast
    1 PRECIOUS FRANCA scratched (Reason: Veterinarian)

Race 9 Current Distance-12, Turf-Firm
    4 GOOD BYE GREG jockey changed to Robby Albarado
    7 CHOCTAW CHUCK changed to RearShoes: w/ SHOES

Race 10 Current Distance-9, Turf-Firm
    7 REACTION RATE scratched (Reason: Trainer)
    13 ROYAL POSSE scratched (Reason: Main-Track-Only)
    14 RIDE OF YOUR LIFE scratched (Reason: Main-Track-Only)
    15 FIDELIUS scratched (Reason: Main-Track-Only)
    edited July 2014
    High octane offense for both teams in Toronto scoring a combined 35 runs in 3 games..

Toronto seems to have adjusted to the loss of Encarnacion..A much needed adjustment considering the Bosox offense of late... Still yet the Jays are looking to win 3 of 4 .....Huge edge for the Boston Pen so looking FH.....Hoping Stroman maintains his home form...4-1 in 6 starts with a 1.81 ERA...allowing 30 hits in 39 innings.. Coupled with De La Rosa's road stats, esp first 5 innings

Toronto FH -112
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    5-0 btm 4th...good start but lets see if there pen later can hold it..
    edited July 2014
    Going to let the winnings ride on

7th Race: Captain Guaghen
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    pure sensation in the 9th...get out win wager
    edited July 2014
    rayphil wrote: »

Good luck
    edited July 2014
    Hard to navigate my phone after a few drinks but did I see an ML of 4-1 on the Haskell Filly?
    edited July 2014
    rayphil wrote: »

And did. Nice call
  • thebox138thebox138 Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Going into wed's card pletcher had 16 wins in 18 starts when sending out a 2year old firtst time starter when there odds were 9/5 or less..... He had one running in the 2nd on wed : went off at 3-5 & ran 2nd.... Guess its 16-19 now