Saratoga - Race 2 notes

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2007 in Horse Racing Forum
No play here; just wanted to point out that #1 He's Solid Gold worked head-up with Wednesday's winner Paint for trainer Nick Zito. Coupla other things i found interesting:

#2 Cave Valley starts for Michael Trombetta, who is hitting at an obscene percentage with 2yo's (34%) and first-time starters (35%), each from large samples. He's hitting at 40% with firsters in 2007.

#3 Sherif comes in off a gate drill that's listed as "Driving". I can't remember the last time i saw that. Guess you can throw him out.

#4 British Columbia brought $450k at the Fasig-Tipton sale, far exceeding her sire's stud fee of $15k. However, the jockey (Mike Luzzi) is 0-for-11 with this trainer, and 0-for-44 at the meet. Highly doubtful he'd be getting the call if this horse were live.

#5 In Orbit stuck pretty close to the pace and hung on for third behind Sargent Seattle, who was one tick off the track record that day (the track record was broken yesterday by the filly Secret Gypsy, incidentally). Very strange he'd be listed at 10/1 here.

#7 Shotten Heimer drops out of the toughest 2yo stakes of the year, back into a maiden race. He was right on the pace after a quarter, and only two lengths back after a half. He did run second in his debut, and the horse who finished behind him (Georgetown) has already won at the meet. Again, 10/1 ml?

Comments

• wire2wirewire2wire Senior Member
    edited August 2007
    HE'S SOLID GOLD SCRATCHED I THINK...w2w
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2007
    True that...his entrymate Hi Chris ran second though, which kinda surprised me. He hadn't recorded a workout in nearly 3 weeks. Most likely he was training on a private farm or something. He did go off as the 2/1 favorite.

The winner was #2 Cave's Valley; score another one for Trombetta. He paid $14.40 and won by open lengths.