Mountaineer September 8th

justin13892002justin13892002 Senior Member
edited September 2015 in Horse Racing Forum
It's been awhile since posting on here (A few years), however, it seems like it may be good to get back in the habit.

Tonight at Mountaineer, Race 3, I see a possible longshot opportunity.

The favorite, 2 Braveman (6/5) is 0-4 on Turf, and hasn't raced on the turf since May of 2014 at Churchill. Although he holds the strongest Beyers in the field, I feel as though this is a longshot opportunity.

For this reason, I have landed on 6 Sam's Gone.

Comes out of a $5,000 Claiming event where he finished last of 9. This would be a major red-flag and discourage many handicappers from circling him in the program.

My thought, however, is that Mountaineer is a major speed favoring track typically. Back in July, in back to back 7 furlong turf races over this Mountaineer track, this 8 YO was dueled to a 45.2, 1:10 pace before fading to finish 5th. In the start prior, again at the same track, surface, and distance, he set a clear pace of 47.4, 1:11.3, winning easily. He now faces some tough class droppers, however, NONE have been able to be very close against these fractions. I am thinking that if he can get a clear lead, he may be able to hold on late at a VERY likeable price.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• justin13892002justin13892002 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Well, this race didn't play out like I had hoped. He didn't get a clear lead, faded behind the 2 favorites. Sams Gone finished 3rd at 20-1. If you had played him across the board, it yielded a $6.80 payout.