Preakness Info

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited June 2015 in Horse Racing Forum
TAP on the status of his runners!

BALTIMORE, MD., 05/06/15 – Trainer Todd Pletcher sent Materiality, Carpe Diem and Competitive Edge to the racetrack at Belmont Park Wednesday morning as the evaluation process began to determine their respective statuses for the 140th Preakness Stakes (G1) at Pimlico Race Course May 16.

“They went back to the track today and jogged and seemed to be in good order. They’ll go back to galloping tomorrow and we’ll see how it goes,” Pletcher said.

“Of the 3-year-olds we ran on Derby Day, the only one that we’ve definitely excluded from consideration for the Preakness is Itsaknockout. That would leave Competitive Edge, Materiality and Carpe Diem,” he added. “I wouldn’t say they’re probable, possible, unlikely or likely. We haven’t excluded them from consideration.”

Pletcher saddled three horses for last Saturday’s Derby, in which Materiality finished a troubled sixth, Itsaknockout checked in ninth, and Carpe Diem came in 10th. The six-time Eclipse Award-winning trainer visited the Churchill Downs winner’s circle Saturday following undefeated Competitive Edge’s 4 ½-length triumph in the Pat Day Mile (G3) on the Derby undercard.

Materiality, the Florida Derby (G1) winner who was undefeated in three starts, got off to a slow start and dropped back to 17th with a quarter of a mile to go before kicking in through the stretch .

“I was very pleased with the way he finished. I was obviously disappointed with the start of the race. It kind of left him in a position where he had too much to do turning for home. I thought he ran very well,” Pletcher said. “It’s kind of frustrating to think what may have been had he gotten off to a better start. But he came out of it very well. He proved his class anyway.”

Carpe Diem, who won the Blue Grass Stakes (G1), got away from his inside post position in good shape but was no factor through the stretch.

“He came out of it very well. The outcome was disappointing. He put himself in perfect position. He got a perfect trip, but I never felt truly confident watching him that he was handling the surface as well as he has others. Despite that he seemed to be fighting on until the end and wasn’t beaten too far,” Pletcher said.

Stanford, who was scratched from the Derby field two days before the first jewel of the Triple Crown, was under consideration for Saturday’s Peter Pan Stakes (G2) at Belmont but was not entered.

“We didn’t feel like he was quite ready for the Peter Pan, so we’re going to pass on that. We’ll see how he does this week and come up with a game plan,” Pletcher said.

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    BALTIMORE, MD., 05/06/15 – Trainer Arnaud Delacour confirmed Wednesday that Lael Stable’s Divining Rod is on course to run in the 140th Preakness Stakes on May 16.

Delacour plans to send the son of Tapit out for his final work for the Preakness at 9 a.m. Saturday at Fair Hill Training Center in Elkton, Md.

Divining Rod, winner of the Lexington Stakes (G3) at Keeneland on April 11, had 20 Kentucky Derby qualifying points and could have drawn into the field from the also-eligible list. However, Delacour and the colt’s owners-breeders, Gretchen and Roy Jackson, decided not to enter the Derby and pointed for the Middle Jewel of the Triple Crown at Pimlico Race Course.

“We weren’t sure we had enough points,” Delacour said. “We were on the bubble, and it’s very hard to train a horse to a race like the Derby not knowing if you’re going to get in. That puts some pressure on. Also, we would have been coming back in three weeks after a good effort in the Lexington and shipping. We thought that maybe it was coming back a little bit too quick. And also, the Jackson saw statistics that showed horses that won the Lexington and came back in the Derby ran a little flat.

“They were the first ones to say that if we didn’t think that the horse was really going to be at his best that they would rather wait another two weeks. I was completely fine with that.”

Delacour watched favored American Pharoah catch and pass Firing Line and Dortmund to win the Derby by one length on Saturday. Divining Rod will be one of the so-called new shooters in the Preakness taking on Derby grads – led by the top three finishers – coming to Baltimore. American Pharoah prevailed in what was easily the most demanding test of his career.

“It’s a tough bunch of horses,” Delacour said. “Going into the Derby everyone was talking about how good of a crop it was. I still feel the same way. The only thing is: I think everybody ran pretty hard, so you never know how they are going to come back in two weeks. We’ll see, but they are definitely tough horses to take on.”

Meanwhile, Delacour feels that Divining Rod has flourished since returning to his home at Fair Hill.

“I think he came back well,” Delacour said. “We gave him two easy weeks where we trained him lightly and let him get his level of energy back. That worked out great. He’s had two breezes since – one easy breeze and last week was a more significant breeze. I was pleased with both, really.

“I think he’s really fit now and is ready to go. We just need to keep him doing well all the way to the Preakness.”
    edited May 2015
    The top three finishers from Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) were doing fine the morning of May 4 at Churchill Downs.

Winner American Pharoah and third-place finisher Dortmund, walked the shedrow at trainer Bob Baffert's barn, and runner-up Firing Line did the same a few barns away for trainer Simon Callaghan.

All three are being aimed for the Preakness (gr. I) May 16 at Pimlico Race Course.

Trainer D. Wayne Lukas said he hoped that a Preakness run may be in the cards for Mr. Z, who finished 13th in the Derby. The colt is owned by Zayat Stables, which also owns American Pharoah.

"I haven't talked to Mr. (Ahmed) Zayat, but we will get together," Lukas said. "My vote would be to go (to the Preakness). He never got a chance to run (after being checked repeatedly in the run to the first turn). We were the whipping boy, but you get that in an 18-horse field."

Lukas plans to be in Baltimore for Preakness weekend May 15-16 with runners expected in several undercard stakes both days.

Firing Line had an easy Monday morning, coming out of his stall for a bath at 8 a.m. and then walking the shedrow for a half-hour with assistant Carlos Santamaria striding alongside.

Housed in Barn 42, Firing Line's stall has not been the home to any recent Kentucky Derby winners, but in the early 1990s it was the place to be for the Preakness. Hansel had the stall in 1991 and Pine Bluff was there the year later for the Derby. Both lost in the Derby but won two weeks later in Baltimore.

"Hmmm," Santamaria said with a smile, "and 2015 more history."

It already has been a magical ride for the 37-year-old Santamaria, who was hired by Simon Callaghan to be his assistant less than two months ago.

"I never thought I would be here. This is a race that you dream about," said Santamaria, who started his career with trainers Charlie Whittingham and David Hofmans before spending the past 19 years with Jack Carava.

And Firing Line is a dream horse to work with.

"He is a total professional. He does what you want him to do," Santamaria said. "You want to jog, he'll jog. You want to stand for 10 minutes, he'll stand."

Firing Line finally got the best of his nemesis Dortmund in the Derby, a colt he had lost to twice in photo finishes. However, he could not take down race favorite American Pharoah, finishing a length back.

"After the race, I felt bad for him because he didn't deserve to lose," Santamaria said. "It is too bad there couldn't have been two winners."

While his boss, Bob Baffert, was enjoying a fourth Kentucky Derby victory with American Pharoah, exercise rider Jorge Alvarez was finally able to savor his first.

"I was the exercise rider for Lookin At Lucky , Pioneerof the Nile , and Bodemeister ," said Alvarez, who attended his first Derby in 2001 when he was the exercise rider for Jamaican Rum, trained by Jim Cassidy.

"Pioneerof the Nile and 'Bode' I thought were the two best horses in the race, but sometimes the best horse doesn't win. A 50-1 shot (Mine That Bird) beat Pioneerof the Nile."

Interestingly, Pioneerof the Nile is the sire of American Pharoah, who delivered the goods Saturday.

"I tried not to get too confident (leading up to the race)," Alvarez said, "because I know things can happen in a race."
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Does Baffert ask the Dortmund connections to skip the Preakness??? If I were a connection to AP I surely would put pressure on Baffert for that.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Horsin~Aro wrote: »
    Does Baffert ask the Dortmund connections to skip the Preakness??? If I were a connection to AP I surely would put pressure on Baffert for that.

I remember reading a quote somewhere along the lines of "If he flips the tables on American Pharoah, so be it, they both deserve a shot." when asked if Dortmund would skip. I'm likely going elsewhere in the Preakness with CE or FL.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    I remember reading a quote somewhere along the lines of "If he flips the tables on American Pharoah, so be it, they both deserve a shot." when asked if Dortmund would skip. I'm likely going elsewhere in the Preakness with CE or FL.

I think AP's the cream. Firing Line will be right there. Dortmund is the horse that didn't get the distance IMO (and I say that only kinda). Honestly, I want Frosted to go right by at Belmont.
  • shh10shh10 Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Horsin~Aro wrote: »

I read - and it's probably more conjecture at this point - where it was noted Baffert spent significantly more time with AP than Dortmund pre-race. If true and I were Dortmund's connections I'd be a tad miffed and all in should Dortmund be good to race . . .
    edited May 2015
    shh10 wrote: »
    I read - and it's probably more conjecture at this point - where it was noted Baffert spent significantly more time with AP than Dortmund pre-race. If true and I were Dortmund's connections I'd be a tad miffed and all in should Dortmund be good to race . . .

To be fair I think jimmy has always been taking care of Dortmund.
    edited May 2015

It looks as that TAP probably won't run anyone but Stanford and I really don't see that happening either. It looks as we have a very high percentage of Triple Crown attempt at Big Sandy once again. Get you tickets boys and give me a shout as I'm locked and loaded for that weekend.
  • Polamalu43Polamalu43 Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    I'm hearing the same, FB.

Normally not TP's style to run in Preakness, unless of course he had the Derby winner, ala Super Saver.

I'm with you, I don't see anyone getting past AP here. Let's hope the under card races are great for betting purposes.
    edited May 2015
    Polamalu43 wrote: »
    I'm hearing the same, FB.

Normally not TP's style to run in Preakness, unless of course he had the Derby winner, ala Super Saver.

I'm with you, I don't see anyone getting past AP here. Let's hope the under card races are great for betting purposes.

I have a weed runner circled for that day, will be a shot like Tepin we cashed on Derby Day. This one has been pointed for this race for sometime!! We need good weather that day.
    edited May 2015
    Here was our write up from our Kentucky Derby report on Tepin.

8TH CDX MAY 2

1 MILE TURF THOROUGHBRED FILLIES AND MARES 4 YEAR OLDS AND UP

GRADE 2 STAKE

PURSE $300,000 (02:59)

This field of ladies over the weeds has BOMB written all over it and I’m going to back a live long shot that has thrived since her arrival at Churchill. She comes from a very solid barn and they know how to get on ready and keep them in form as well. Look for The Frogman to sling shot this one through the inside to an upset victory.

#3 – TEPIN – WPS
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    I've always used The Dixie to pick my horse for the Manhattan.
    I really like Lochte. Had ton of horse with no where to go two race back at Gulfstream, against Mshawish.
    He didn't Fire in his last. I'll be expecting a good price on this one.

That's Lochte in The Dixie.....
  • Polamalu43Polamalu43 Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Hoping we get full fields for the under card races. Looking forward to seeing Friday's pps, for B'Eyed Susan day, which should be up on Sunday!
    edited May 2015
    Shoot me an email and I will forward PP"s over to Sunday night.

Take Care...
    edited May 2015
    Here's a jockey quote for fuck head about the leads. But there's also some good quotes about Firing Line getting better from Gary...

"Why he didn't switch leads, I don't know," Stevens said.

As Stevens was pulling up after the race, his disappointment of running second quickly turned to optimism for the Xpressbet.com Preakness Stakes (gr. I) at Pimlico Race Course.

"I couldn't believe his energy level pulling up after the Derby," Stevens said. "He's the first horse I've ever ridden in the Derby who was still a fresh horse after the race. I think the Derby actually did him even more good. The question is, what toll did it take on the others, including Bob's two?

"He's grown with each race. A lot of people thought he hung in those two defeats to Dortmund. But he put that and the distance question to rest. He's been in three battles now, and believe me, that was not an easy race on either of the first three. It's been like Affirmed and Alydar, except we're facing two Affirmeds."

Looking ahead two weeks to the Preakness, Stevens said, "This was the first time American Pharoah has been tested and Dortmund has had two hard races against us and has had a pretty busy schedule all year. He won the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) comfortably, but how much of a toll did that race take on him? And did the Kentucky Derby take some of the heart out of him?"
  • SkyMaster7SkyMaster7 Banned
    edited May 2015
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Here's a jockey quote for fuck head about the leads. But there's also some good quotes about Firing Line getting better from Gary...

"Why he didn't switch leads, I don't know," Stevens said.

As Stevens was pulling up after the race, his disappointment of running second quickly turned to optimism for the Xpressbet.com Preakness Stakes (gr. I) at Pimlico Race Course.

"I couldn't believe his energy level pulling up after the Derby," Stevens said. "He's the first horse I've ever ridden in the Derby who was still a fresh horse after the race. I think the Derby actually did him even more good. The question is, what toll did it take on the others, including Bob's two?

"He's grown with each race. A lot of people thought he hung in those two defeats to Dortmund. But he put that and the distance question to rest. He's been in three battles now, and believe me, that was not an easy race on either of the first three. It's been like Affirmed and Alydar, except we're facing two Affirmeds."

Looking ahead two weeks to the Preakness, Stevens said, "This was the first time American Pharoah has been tested and Dortmund has had two hard races against us and has had a pretty busy schedule all year. He won the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) comfortably, but how much of a toll did that race take on him? And did the Kentucky Derby take some of the heart out of him?"
    I will ignore the fuckhead comment to point out the obvious ....

First off Stevens did not seem to spend a lot of time on the switching leads issue . He did not use it as a excuse why he lost or a reason why he expects the horse to move forward. He did confirm the fact that I guess technically the horse did not switch leads but the end result is still the same ... It was a non-issue.

He did make some other points that seem to be much more relevant which I will address ...

He says Firing Line had so much energy at the end of the race. I have to wonder how much of that is Jockey speak. Where was all that energy when AP put him away ?

He says Dortmund had some tough races and a pretty busy schedule. I agree 100% with that. I have been saying that myself. I expect Dortmund to run a dull race by his standards in the Preakness.

The only thing I take issue with is that Firing Line had just as busy of a schedule and the tough races Dortmund had were the ones against Firing Line. And Stevens questioned how much the easy SA Derby win might have even taken out of Dortmund and I am guessing about the same amount Firing Lines easy win in the Sunland Derby took out of him, at least Dortmund didn't have to travel for his easy win like Firing Line did. My point is I expect both of these horse to give dull performances by their standards.

He also questioned if Firing Line took a little heart out of Dortmund. I am guessing not since Dortmund has a lot of heart but either way you have to also wonder if AP took out some of Firing Lines heart.

Could they still land in the super ? Yeah they could because the field is coming up weak and even dull they are better than most the others sharp. But since Materiality is now listed at probable for the Preakness he is the logical play in the second spot and will offer more value than the above two as a added bonus.

Both Materiality and AP were very fresh horses going into the derby and actually needed that race to get fully cranked. Obviously AP is far better than Materiality so he is the single on top but a sharp materiality is better than a dull firing line or Dortmund so he is the single in the second spot. You have to use firing line and Dort in the 3-4 spots but since they are vulnerable you can spread a bit in the bottom spots and hope one of the lesser horses runs the race of their life and knocks Dort or firing line out of the 3-4 spot and there you have your superfecta for the Preakness . No need to thank me ...

I would tell you which specific lesser horses to use but since we don't know exactly who will be running I can't. But you can bank on it firing line will not win the Preakness or even finish in the exacta.
    edited May 2015
    Lol.
  • SkyMaster7SkyMaster7 Banned
    edited May 2015
    Lol.
    You bet Firing Line to win the Preakness and we will see who is laughing after the race :)
  • noble tunenoble tune Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    I think AP's the cream. Firing Line will be right there. Dortmund is the horse that didn't get the distance IMO (and I say that only kinda). Honestly, I want Frosted to go right by at Belmont.
    Looked like frosted galloped out best in the derby.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Starting to sound like Competitive Edge will not go in Preakness
    edited May 2015
    Starting to sound like Competitive Edge will not go in Preakness

I don't see TAP sending any of his runners. AP will have to deal with Dort and FL down the lane. Divining Rod will make a sweeping move on the turn to excite his backers.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Divining Rod, that's me.
    I think he'll be running for second behind American Pharoh. I sure wish Competitive Edge goes then we,'ll see if American Pharoh has enough stamina to keep running and hold of Divining Rod.
  • TurferGirlTurferGirl Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Sent fr: Samsung Galaxy:
    According to BH,Mr.Pletcher has entered none into the Preakness.
    edited May 2015
    Now that Mr. Z and American Pharoah don't have the same owner, Gary Stevens said, "All bets are off. I'm no rocket scientist. But I've ridden enough races for Wayne Lukas that I can pretty much tell you what he's going to tell Corey Nakatani. And that's to come away running and take no prisoners. I think it just adds to the possible pace scenario that I'll look forward to taking advantage of."

Lol. Corey gonna sentdthe fuck of this POS. 46 flat.
  • MakersMakers Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    According to Weather.com, the 2015 Preakness Stakes may be contested in wet conditions, as there is a 50 percent expectation of scattered afternoon thunderstorms in Baltimore, Maryland, on race day. The race's post time is scheduled for 6:18 p.m. ET, according to Preakness.com, so this is certainly something for bettors and horse-racing enthusiasts to keep a keen eye on.
  • MakersMakers Senior Member
    edited May 2015
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Really don't think weather is going to be the issue..last 3 days we were expecting a possible t-storm and I didn't even see a cloud. Nice and breezy now with no humidity.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    cinfront wrote: »
    I've always used The Dixie to pick my horse for the Manhattan.
    I really like Lochte. Had ton of horse with no where to go two race back at Gulfstream, against Mshawish.
    He didn't Fire in his last. I'll be expecting a good price on this one.

That's Lochte in The Dixie.....

He goes today at Monmouth Race 11