Lecomte Stakes

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2015 in Horse Racing Forum
Was just looking @ Tiznow RJ's big maiden win. They ran a couple more Mile-70 races on that day's card, and although the class levels were pretty weak, the straight maiden race won by TRJ was considerably faster than the other two. Like several seconds faster. He was also a couple of seconds faster than anyone else in his own race (which of course was the same class level). Read a nice article on him yesterday too, where they mentioned that he's still a bit of a Baby Huey type who remains a work in progress. Might not be out of the question to see further improvement, and it's doesn't hurt that he's the only horse in the race with a course-and-distance prep.

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    By raw numbers Eagle towers this field, but Neil is not looking for the win tomorrow. He also has drawn real poor for the Mile 70 they run at The FG. Two horses you should use for exotics is International Star and Another Lemon Drop. This is a very good betting race tomorrow. The weather is going to be awesome and I cannot wait for a great day of racing on Saturday. I actually love a horse in this race tomorrow!
  • Race606Race606 Junior Member
    edited January 2015
    2-11-4-7
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Agreed on Eagle, I don't see any way you can back him given the combination of the post-draw and the price (same goes for Top Decile in the filly race, much as I like her). Certainly no shortage of options to try and beat him with, either.

Btw, anyone else notice Nate's Mineshaft in one of the undercard races? He's still unbeaten around two turns @ Fair Grounds, and he appears to be in pretty good form (certainly no shame in a sprint loss to Delauney). Seems like he's been training well, too. Color me interested.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    just read #7 runhappy was training like a beast this week and the owner turned down 3 million for him..although i read his owner is loaded and isnt hurting for any money...8-1 ml
    edited January 2015
    i suggest watching the replay of that guy...he is as green as you could be...
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, i grew up in Houston, and "Mattress Mac" is loaded. He's also thrown a ton of money at the sport over the years, and to my knowledge, he has never had a really good horse. So i can see why he would turn down a ridiculous offer or two on a nice prospect.

Will definitely check out the replay tonight, in fact, thanks for reminding me. I read something similar from Mike Watchmaker, of all people. Said he broke slow and then showed huge speed rushing up, then kept right on going (while drifting out badly). Tall order for the colt, but we shall see. Should be a price in any case.
    edited January 2015
    Wow, not sure i've ever seen a debut like that one. Not even sure what to think about it. Obviously has speed and talent, but breaking slow and racing from behind in a big field like the Lecomte would be pretty dangerous, and judging by the looks of things, he's not exactly a pro when it comes to taking turns. Would have to think he'll need to be far, far more efficient to win a race like this one.

I do however think the blown turn may have been a little fluky (due to his momentum from rushing up and running off), but that being said, he doesn't seem like he'll be very rateable either. Tough horse to ride. My guess is that he would either win the Lecomte or finish up-the-track, with the latter being more likely. Will probably throw a small win bet on him just on the off-chance he gets his head screwed on right, and runs a big one.

Here's a link to the replay:

Horse Racing Results | Thoroughbred Racing | BloodHorse.com
    edited January 2015
    i agree DC. if he is anywhere near his ml you have to throw a couple bucks on him...i know i will..now with shaun getting up.it looks like he saw something around the turn and then everytime he got hit he lugged in..
  • Race606Race606 Junior Member
    edited January 2015
    ...Half of these have pedigrees that are about equal to one another...a few have shown a little more talent than the rest at this stage of the game but I suppose some will get better with age.

1- #2 Tiznow R J 5/1.......stretched out nicely at this track...another improvement could take this.

2- #11 Eagle 3/1............very nice pedigree...met a few good ones in his last...post may hurt...also may not be fully cranked up for this.

3- #4 War Story 9/2......2 for 2 so far...pedigree says he should like more distance...threat to win

1,3,7 have chance in exotics

Keep a check on my blog for an upcoming in-depth article on pedigrees...

Backstretchtalks.blogspot.com
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Taking a WP stab on Four Leaf Chief. His head was really never in that last race after the rough break. Came on some turning for home but ran out of gas. Blinkers on should keep him focused and closer early on.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    fbwinners wrote: »
    By raw numbers Eagle towers this field, but Neil is not looking for the win tomorrow. He also has drawn real poor for the Mile 70 they run at The FG. Two horses you should use for exotics is International Star and Another Lemon Drop. This is a very good betting race tomorrow. The weather is going to be awesome and I cannot wait for a great day of racing on Saturday. I actually love a horse in this race tomorrow!

Looked really nice...but not sure there's much in this mule group. Runhappy was still erratic and green, but that 3 milly looks long gone right about now....