Here's a few thoughts for everyone...

dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
edited December 2014 in Horse Racing Forum
1. The powers that be in horse racing are in a tough place. I get that. BUT slot machines, and now this DRAFT KINGS and FAN DUEL shit are not the answer. TVG is pushing it hard, too. They might pay your bills now, but they're gonna take your customers and leave you broke. Very soon they'll take control of most of the wagering money and they'll get sick of subsidizing racing. Then it's game over IMO.

2. Los Alamitos racing is a fucking joke. I could have won 3 of today's races on foot.

3. Tyler Baze need to be breathalyzed after the 9th @Los Al. Looked very suspect.

4... oh fuck i had a decent point but i forgot....

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    dirtyshirt wrote: »

4... oh fuck i had a decent point but i forgot....

I think Firing Line is going to be a great miler. Game when bumped on both sides today, on a strange course setup, and he looked like a winner with about a 1/16 left. I'm sure he'll head to the Derby, but I'm thinking he wins some big mile races eventually.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Allow me to retort:

1. What do you expect from Los Al? Great Race Place is right around the corner, and this time last year we said the same about Hollywood Park!

2. Baze is ok----everyone needs another shot of courage sometimes!

3. The old Cash Call Futurity(aka Los Al Futurity) was one hell of a race! Pretty exciting for a 5 horse field. Dortmund was the best by a nostril, but all three ran their hearts out. Not sure if Dortmund will buck the odds and stay healthy--the TVG guru's made a point in discussing how injury prone big horses are, and Dortmund is a very big boy! All three look like 7f to mile wonders but I'm not sure they want any part of 1 1/8 and up?

For anyone interested--I am putting together a list of horses currently working at Oaklawn Park who have gotten the attention of trackside viewers. Will post -up sometime after the first of the year. Word now is that the fillies are stealing the show. Mark Casse has a couple of 2yo fillies who have looked like Oaks types? Owners Robert and Louanna Low have a stable of real racehorses and they have looked the part in their morning lessons. The Racing Secretary and all OP mgmt. are just giddy over the upcoming meet! I just hope the weather cooperates as they are having 60 degree weather right now, and that usually means snow and ice will hit around opening day?
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Allow me to retort to the slots, Draft King comment. WTF is Draft King, etc???

Slots, I know, and the slots have been a real savior to Oaklawn purse structure. But, racing is still top of the game at OP and the racino is just a way to stay open year round and contribute to the racing program. I know its not that way elsewhere, but at OP the race meet is the top priority!
    edited December 2014
    Allow me to retort to the slots, Draft King comment. WTF is Draft King, etc???

Slots, I know, and the slots have been a real savior to Oaklawn purse structure. But, racing is still top of the game at OP and the racino is just a way to stay open year round and contribute to the racing program. I know its not that way elsewhere, but at OP the race meet is the top priority!

Draft Kings is the Fantasy NFL for cash gambling that's already a multibillion dollar industry.

On a positive note, that DERBY GOLD app where people wager on whatever the next race is, race after race, all day and night is attracting new "fans" and their money goes in our pools. Apparently it has close to %50 of players with no racing background, and %50 women users who equate it to a more exciting slots. Hopefully it continues, as there is definite crossover potential here, and we get WAAAYYYY more "dead" money in US pools (maybe you've even noticed lately).
    edited December 2014
    Graham Motion is a good guy. Maybe too good.....
    edited December 2014
    California Chrome should be horse of the year no doubt. Bad ride away from being TC winner. Huge in BC. SA Derby easy as can be.

I feel like voters will go this route, unless Shared Belief wins the Malibu by 20, and then it will be presumed he would have won the BC without trouble, and all the sudden he's god. But anyways...

Chrome over Main Sequence& Bayern over Main Sequence& Bayern & SB & Untapable Trifecta for me.