Horse Racing Forum
Discussion Forum

Old 09-29-2008, 01:22 AM   #51
DiscreetCat
DiscreetCat broke his maiden with styleDiscreetCat broke his maiden with style
Our original horse-to-watch Street Hero broke his maiden in the Grade 1 Norfolk Stakes today, paying $14.20 to win.

I have to be honest though, i went in a different direction and bet Midshipman to win. That one did run second however, resulting in a nice exacta that paid better than 24/1. Pretty much the only good news i've had lately, as my picks have been running ice-colt of late.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #52
rayphil
rayphil broke well from the gate
that was a very good race yesterday and now street hero will get plenty of action in the breeders cup now and I was hoping midshipman would win but he just needs to be a little closer because he is just a horse that plots away. Discreet Cat i have to say i was hysterical lady won but you were right Zenyatta should run against the boys because she is just an absolute freak. She has my total respect now.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:27 PM   #53
DiscreetCat
Zenyatta is simply phenomenal. I actually tried to bet her to win the Distaff today @ 8/5, but the odds had been lowered to 6/5, so i passed. It's not worth sweatng the injury factor for a month, when she may not be much lower on raceday. Possible she goes off as low as 3/5, but i would tend to doubt it with Music Note (among others) also lining up for the race.

Personally, i do think Shirreffs should run her in the Classic. It won't happen, but it should. She's quite possibly the best horse on the planet right now, male or female. And you'd have to think the extra distance would be a plus.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #54
FlyinLate
FlyinLate broke well from the gate
DC did you hear any reasoning both Azul Leon and Regal Ransom not firing? Azul Leon just didn't have that closing kick he showed in his last two (atleast he ran straight this time though). Regal never showed anything after that very impressive maiden/key race.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #55
DiscreetCat
I haven't heard a thing. No telling with Regal Ransom, but he certainly wasn't the first Eastern horse to ship to California and run poorly. Throw in the fact that it was his two-turn debut, and it's not entirely surprising. I doubt synthetic was a factor, but who knows.

Azul Leon, i dunno. One thing i DID notice was that he seemed to be dead on the board. Despite being the morning-line favorite for the race, i believe he opened @ 10/1. Regal Ransom opened @ 7/5, for all that was worth. Probably doesn't mean a whole lot, but just something that caught my eye.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #56
2W2P2S
2W2P2S broke well from the gate
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscreetCat View Post
Zenyatta is simply phenomenal. I actually tried to bet her to win the Distaff today @ 8/5, but the odds had been lowered to 6/5, so i passed. It's not worth sweatng the injury factor for a month, when she may not be much lower on raceday. Possible she goes off as low as 3/5, but i would tend to doubt it with Music Note (among others) also lining up for the race.

Personally, i do think Shirreffs should run her in the Classic. It won't happen, but it should. She's quite possibly the best horse on the planet right now, male or female. And you'd have to think the extra distance would be a plus.

I'm afraid that good showing by Tiago may keep that from happening.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #57
DiscreetCat
Quote:
Royal Taat (8/29 @ DMR, Race 2)

New Zealand import from the John Sadler/Doubledown Stable combo made her American debut in a 5-furlong turf sprint that really wasn't conducive to her running style. As you may know, the short Del Mar turf sprints are dominated by speed-types, and Royal Taat dropped straight to the back and was trailing the leaders by 7-8 lengths down the backstretch. She was still far behind when turning for home, lugging in a bit (and late changing leads) coming off the sharp turn. However, she was then shifted out by Gomez, changed leads, and took off like a rocket down the straightaway, clearly moving best of all and wound up missing by just a length or so at the wire.

As you may know, Sadler has had a great deal of success with these New Zealand/Doubledown horses, winning multiple stakes with Crossing the Line and Black Mamba. It appears that Royal Taat has a good bit of talent as well, and should do quite well for herself when running over the downhill course @ Santa Anita (which is much kinder to late-runners). Definitely one to keep an eye on.
Royal Taat won impressively on the downhill course today, paying $7.00 to win.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #58
hotbustop
BettingTalk Member Avatar
hotbustop broke well from the gate
Thanks for this one. I put it in my stable alert and cashed!
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #59
DiscreetCat
I was struck by the performance of Hello Broadway in the Nashua today. The half-brother to Nobiz Like Shobiz was bottled up in traffic most of the way and had no room to run, then finally got out for some room around midstretch and was able to kick it in pretty well despite having already lost all chance (as Break Water Edison had opened an insurmountable lead). He was closing the gap noticeably and was only beaten a couple of lengths at the wire. Looks like he may appreciate some added distance, and Tagg has had some success with Derby-types, winning with Funny Cide some years ago and running a surprising third with Tale of Ekati this year. Interesting prospect here.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #60
fbwinners
fbwinners broke well from the gate
Quote:
I was struck by the performance of Hello Broadway in the Nashua today. The half-brother to Nobiz Like Shobiz was bottled up in traffic most of the way and had no room to run, then finally got out for some room around midstretch and was able to kick it in pretty well despite having already lost all chance (as Break Water Edison had opened an insurmountable lead). He was closing the gap noticeably and was only beaten a couple of lengths at the wire. Looks like he may appreciate some added distance, and Tagg has had some success with Derby-types, winning with Funny Cide some years ago and running a surprising third with Tale of Ekati this year. Interesting prospect here.

Cat totally agree with you on this one, look for him next out and will be a graded winner soon.

FB
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:26 AM   #61
DiscreetCat
I was @ the Wynn today, and according to the Derby sheet they had Hello Broadway listed @ 75/1. That was actually BEFORE Sunday's race however, as the sheet was dated 10/30. He's probably lower now, but who the hell knows. I didn't even bother to ask....even @ 75/1 he's still too short. At least at this point in time.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #62
rayphil
rayphil broke well from the gate
I Agree 75-1 Is Too Short Especially When The Season Hasnt Even Started Yet. I Do Like The Pamplemousse At 150-1 Even Though He Is A Maiden.....
Old 11-19-2008, 01:02 AM   #63
DiscreetCat
Burna Dette (11/14 @ HOL, Race 5)

Upwardly-mobile filly coming off a late-running win over the sharp return winner Unworldly Heat was tucked in nicely behind the speed while along the rail in this 6-furlong turf affair, moving well and ready to pounce into the lane but found herself trapped behind horses as the hole never opened for her. In fact, she tried to force her way out around midstretch, bumping hard with another horse and losing all of her own momentum in the process (she was subsequently DQ'd into last, i believe). Looked to handle the turf quite well, and can clearly handle the same type of company with a clean trip. Would definitely have some interest in a similar spot.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:37 AM   #64
jenroypa
jenroypa broke well from the gate
Royal Taat running in the 4th at Hollywood today
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:40 AM   #65
DiscreetCat
Another nice run by Royal Taat today, making it two straight wins since she was added to this list...
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:25 AM   #66
DiscreetCat
Captain Cherokee (11/22 @ CD, Race 10)

Half-brother to Midnight Lute got bet down to 8/5 for his debut (from a 7/2 ml), and ran extremely well despite breaking sideways and being off very slowly. Made a strong sustained run to gain a striking position on the turn, but lost some more ground while angling wide into the stretch and then flattened out just a bit from his early efforts. Likely would've won the race with a clean break, i think.

No fluke either, as this was the sale-topping colt from the March Barrett's sale, bringing $650k despite coming from a sire with only a $7,500 stud fee (Arkansas Derby winner Sir Cherokee). Obviously, the female side (i.e. Midnight Lute) played a large part in that price, but Captain Cherokee had breezed a furlong in 10.1 at the under-tack show, and clearly made quite an impression at the sale.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #67
DiscreetCat
Ashton Girl (11/26 @ HOL, Race 5)

Fine turf sprinter for Gallagher was at a bit of a disadvantage here with the race being transferred to the main track, yet showed good early speed along the inside while being steadied repeatedly behind the leader while racing down the backstretch. Encountered even more traffic into the lane, and appeared to have some horse left though she never got into the clear. Should improve next time out when turf-sprinting over a firm surface.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #68
DiscreetCat
Rail Trip (11/7 @ Hol, Race 3)

3yo firster for Ron Ellis was well-bet in his debut, and responded with an incredibly impressive effort, unquestionably one of the best debut runs i've ever seen. Shot straight to the lead from the outside post after breaking sharply, and raced clear on the front end while setting solid fractions. He really began to impress once turning for home however, extending his lead while never being asked for run, posting a ridiculous five-furlong split of 55.96 before hitting the wire in 1:07.96 with the rider sitting chilly. Scary to think what he could've done with some encouragement in the lane.

He's contined to train well since that race, and i expect he'll be entered pretty soon. Figures odds-on vs. any kind of first-level allowance company, but if he stays healthy, this horse is going places. Definitely one to keep an eye on.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #69
DiscreetCat
Figeac (12/7 @ HOL, Race 3)

4yo gelding was claimed out of his debut by a guy who rarely does any claiming at all (Rafael Martinez), then was switched to grass and stretched out to two turns in a race where he couldn't be claimed (maiden special weight). Blinkers on here, and as opposed to breaking slowly as he did in his debut, Figeac broke well but also seemed to leap in the air with his head up shorty after the break. Despite that, he moved right up to take the lead into the first turn, but again began throwing his head around and then started drifting very badly toawrds the outer rail. All the while, he was in complete run-off mode and ended up about 7 lengths in front down the backstretch despite all the problems. The fractions were very fast (as you might expect due to the run-off), a full two seconds faster to the half-mile than a couple of turf allowances at similar distances, also run early on the card. Despite all this, Figeac battled on gamely through the stretch even after being passed by the open-lengths winner Cavanal (who was the 7/5 favorite, btw), and managed to hold on for second in solid time (winner Cavanal received an 84 Beyer). Looks like a horse with a definite future if he can get past his mental shortcomings. Wouldn't surprise me to see the blinkers come back off next time.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:36 AM   #70
DiscreetCat
Access Fee (12/14 @ AQU, Race 7)

Laurel import blew the start to be off last, then made a sharp move up the backstretch to challenge the leaders, then took command into the lane. Looked like she was gonna pull it off despite the trouble, but she fell apart late. Most likely it was due to her early exertions, but she stopped so suddenly I thought perhaps she might've hurt herself. Will be very interested to see if she returns to the worktab in a timely manner.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:44 AM   #71
DiscreetCat
Quote:
Rail Trip (11/7 @ Hol, Race 3)

3yo firster for Ron Ellis was well-bet in his debut, and responded with an incredibly impressive effort, unquestionably one of the best debut runs i've ever seen. Shot straight to the lead from the outside post after breaking sharply, and raced clear on the front end while setting solid fractions. He really began to impress once turning for home however, extending his lead while never being asked for run, posting a ridiculous five-furlong split of 55.96 before hitting the wire in 1:07.96 with the rider sitting chilly. Scary to think what he could've done with some encouragement in the lane.

He's contined to train well since that race, and i expect he'll be entered pretty soon. Figures odds-on vs. any kind of first-level allowance company, but if he stays healthy, this horse is going places. Definitely one to keep an eye on.
Another super-impressive win by Rail Trip today. This horse can flat-out run.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #72
DiscreetCat
Deputy Flyer (12/28 @ SA, Race 5)

3yo firster for Ellis hopped a bit at the break and was well off the pace despite having shown high speed in morning workouts. Moved up well along the inside to gain a striking position in the stretch, but found himself blocked behind a wall of horses while obviuously full of run. Finally found a seam late and exploded from between horses to win going away, really lengthening his stride once out into the clear. Looks like another big-time prospect for Ellis, who already has Rail Trip in the barn. Deputy Flyer seems more like a route prospect though, particularly being a son of Benchmark.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #73
DiscreetCat
Quote:
Two Brash (7/3 @ BEL, Race 4)

This Kimmel-trained colt is coming out of the same race as Cribnote (listed above). He was checked hard on the backstretch to lose ground, but incredibly was able to gather himself and move up strongly to take control of the race, posting a highly-impressive win. He was also flattered yesterday, when a work-partner named Break Water Edison scored a wire-to-wire win in Belmont's 4th race. Those two had worked heads-up together on June 6.
Heads up.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #74
Jerman
Jerman broke well from the gate
Got him; thanks. Also that nut Discreet Treasure is in the 4th at GP today.
Reply Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #75
DiscreetCat
Quote:
Access Fee (12/14 @ AQU, Race 7)

Laurel import blew the start to be off last, then made a sharp move up the backstretch to challenge the leaders, then took command into the lane. Looked like she was gonna pull it off despite the trouble, but she fell apart late. Most likely it was due to her early exertions, but she stopped so suddenly I thought perhaps she might've hurt herself. Will be very interested to see if she returns to the worktab in a timely manner.
Access Fee returned to win today, paying $3.60 @ Laurel
Reply Reply With Quote

Contact Us - Horse Racing Talk - Archive - Top

HorseRacingTalk is a forum for handicappers. Register today and join in the horse racing discussions.